Another common form of medical malpractice is surgical error.
This occurs when a patient suffers an injury from surgery because the doctor fell below the standard of care in that he/she:
- Performs the wrong operation or operates on the wrong patient.
- Performs an operation on a patient who should not reasonably have been considered a candidate for the surgery.
- Cuts or damages a part of the body that should not reasonably have been damaged.
- Fails to properly administer anesthesia.
- Leaves a surgical instrument or sponge in the patient’s body.
- Improperly inserts a medical device or prosthesis such as a pacemaker or artificial hip.